Friday, October 1, 2010

My body has a mind of its own

Gaining weight for pregnancy has been hard on me this time. I still never want to gain any weight and while it happens, I still don't like it. I especially don't like it when my body decides to gain a lot in a short amount of time instead of really gradually. For example, when I woke up on Tuesday I weighed in around 153.2 like I had been for a while. Now today, only 3 days later, I weigh 155. I went up 1.8 pounds in just 3 days! I keep feeling like this is temporary but I have a feeling it's not and the baby just must be growing or I'm growing larger besides just baby weight :)

Anyway, that's all for now. I am still shooting to only gain 30-35 pounds with this baby but I don't know if I'll pull that off. If not, well, at least I know I'm not alone!

2 comments:

  1. Weight gain is obviously a part of pregnancy and in truth, it really doesn't matter how much you gain. I'm sure the only reason a doctor would worry about weight gain is if you were either not gaining enough (because no weight gain means an unhealthy baby) or gaining way too much (because too much weight gain could mean gestational diabetes). Now if you were like overweight to begin with there might be an issue, but you're not so don't worry about the weight. In fact I would probably recommend that you hide your scale until 6 weeks after you have your baby and the doctor gives you the okay to start exercising again. My sister (she's a personal trainer) says that the best thing you can do for yourself during pregnancy is weight training. During pregnancy your body looses muscle mass and muscle mass is what helps you to loose weight. If you loose too much muscle mass it could be harder for you to loose the weight after the baby is here. So get your self some wieghts or even some exercise bands (they're awesome because they give you more resistance and make you use your core) to work out with. I have been doing a lot more weight stuff right now (for my back) and I'm seeing some great results in how strong I am but also physically. I'm not seeing the weight loss but really with this new approach it doesn't matter because I'm switching the light fat for the heavier muscle. The extra strength from the weights will also help you have more energy surprising enough. Don't worry so much you're gonna be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you say that Katie because my nurse told me that if I wasn't using weights currently that I should not start. I was not sure how I felt about that (she also told me not to eat any fish at all, ya right!) so I think I may try a little bit here and there. Nothing too much but a little wouldn't be that bad I believe. In truth, before I got pregnant I was using weights but with the illness, I stopped exercising and weight lifting all together. Now that I'm starting again, I think I'll take your advice.

    ReplyDelete