Monday, April 8, 2013

So Glad Last Week is Over!!

Last week was a terrible week for my family.  A week ago Thursday (10 days ago) my nephews were sleeping over and the youngest threw up.  He seemed fine besides a tummy ache until he left Saturday.  On Saturday night Mikey threw up 4 times, twice during Easter Sunday and twice more Sunday night.  That was fun.  No candy for that baby.

Then on Monday came the diarrhea which lasted all morning into the afternoon.  It then stopped and he didn't throw up Monday night although Justin started feeling ill on Monday night.  We decided he was better so Tuesday we left Justin home sick and went to visit my Mom in Wales, UT.  We were having lots of fun until Mikey started bawling in the car on the way back from visiting a museum and getting some food and he ended up throwing up, oh goody.  Then we left around 8 PM and he had diarrhea very bad on the 2 hour drive home but I didn't know until we got home and found the mess he left us.  I don't believe he threw up that night. 

On Wednesday Justin was feeling a lot better but decided to still stay home and work from home.  I was able to go grocery shopping alone and then when Mikey had a nap I took Allie on a long walk to the library, it was really nice to have some breaks and help.  That night Mikey threw up again and had diarrhea all morning. 

Then he threw up again Thursday night and when Justin came to help me, we noticed his eyes were sealed shut and we started to worry he was dehydrated.  We called the doctor and they said to go to the ER because I thought he hadn't had a wet diaper the entire day before but then I realized he did have one around 5 PM so we relaxed and went back to bed but decided we needed to go to the doctor on Friday.  (We figured it was just a stomach bug so we didn't worry too much but after 6 days of throwing up and diarrhea, we knew it was time.  Plus, we are paying a deductible so everything is out of pocket right now, ouch.)

On Friday we made an appt and Justin decided to work from home again in case he was dehydrated and we had to take him to get an IV.  The doctor said he wasn't dehydrated but likely had rotavirus, a nasty stomach bug that can last up to 8 days.  Ugggh, what a nasty thing to catch!  We kept trying to give him pedialyte and gatorade but he didn't love any of those drinks much and he wouldn't drink much water.  He only wanted milk, poor baby.

Then Friday night around 11 PM Timmy came in and smelled like poop.  We went down to investigate and he had to poop so bad that he stood up and went in his underwear.  Then he was embarrassed and tried to clean it up but it fell all over his carpet, yuck.  Justin worked on cleaning him up and I attacked the carpet, seriously the worst!  He finally got back to bed in the guest bedroom at 11:30 and then Mikey was up at 12:30 and threw up twice and Justin was so exhausted he didn't even know I was up again.  He had diarrhea all of Saturday morning and was moaning on the ground poor baby.  Then I put him down for a nap and 20 minutes later he woke up crying and cried for a solid 45 minutes and would scream if we tried to pick him up so we called the doctor and they said for us to come right in again.  We were afraid of something else going on like a stomach block or appendix bursting.  He ended up being fine but the doctor said his stomach muscles were shot and he had a lot of pain in his tummy.  She gave him ibuprofen and sent home all sorts of drinks and yogurts to help him feel better.  She also said he had pink eye so we have to eye drops for a week too, oh good.  I was so exhausted Saturday that I fell asleep twice on the couch and Justin made lunch for everyone which was great. 

He finally slept all night Saturday night but had diarrhea all morning and was moaning on the ground in pain so Justin gave him a blessing.  He calmed down and took a 2 hour nap and woke up a much changed baby, actually smiling real smiles and giggles again.  It was so nice! 

He did wake up Sunday night crying but nothing was going on so I just held him for 5 minutes and he fell back to sleep immediately.  He has been feeling much better this morning and I finally gave him milk since he hasn't thrown up since Friday night.  So far no diarrhea yet today but I don't think it's completely gone away yet.  The doctor said diarrhea can last up to a week longer and since this bug is passed through fecal matter (poop), we still need to be careful.

Well, that was long but I wanted to document my poor baby's illness.  I think I may have contracted it a little too because I was really sick last Monday, Wed and Thurs and I am finally feeling back to normal nausea.  I think I also have sciatic pain this time and I keep getting throbbing pain in my hip and just behind my hip.  I have my regular doctor checkup tomorrow so it will be nice to ask my questions and schedule my big ultrasound in 4 weeks :)

I usually start to feel better around now but I am still quite nauseated but not terribly sick and not as tired.  It doesn't bother me as much as it did 4 weeks ago so that's nice.  

Goodbye week, don't wish to repeat you ever!







No comments:

Post a Comment