Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Welcome Baby Wesley!


Well, he made it here and we are all so happy!  Not everything has been smooth sailing (hello hormones and anxiety) but today I'm feeling pretty positive.

Last Tuesday we woke up early and headed to the hospital arriving around 6:50 AM.  They had just had 2 women come in and deliver within 10 minutes of arriving so the nurses were a little preoccupied so no one even came in our room until about 8 AM.  I got my IV, not terrible but still hurt.  Then we got started on Pitocin and the nurse left.  My doctor came in around 8:40 and broke my water but he first had to make sure the head was done and ouch, so not pleasant.....did I say ouch?

Then for the next few hours Justin and I just chilled watching Chuck although I had to pee like every 15 minutes, it was terrible.  I got up several times and I almost wanted to get my epidural so that I could get a catheter and stop going to the bathroom.

Our nurse got called into a C-section so we got a new nurse which we both liked so much more.  She was much more friendly and chatty.  I told her around 11 AM that the contractions were only every 20 minutes or so and not really doing much.  She turned up the pitocin and then I felt contractions quite strongly for the next 20 minutes or so and decided to get the epidural.  After that, I fell asleep for an hour, it was nice :)

Then the nurse checked me around 1 PM and I was at a 5 and she put in the catheter and said once my bladder was drained the baby could move down faster.  I asked her how long she thought it would be before I delivered and she said by 3 PM.  She left and around 1:15 I started shaking and was so cold.  Justin went out and got a nurse to give us a warm blanket which helped.  Then my nurse came in at 1:35 to check me because I was feeling a little uncomfortable and she said shaking was a showing signs of a transition.  She checked me and gasped saying I was a 10 and that the baby would be coming very soon.  She called my doctor and told him to run and he did run!  He came in the room, asked if there was time to change and she told him to change quickly and said she wouldn't put my legs up in the stirrups until he was ready, lol.

He came in, got everything ready and I pushed through 3 contractions and the baby was delivered in less than 10 minutes at 1:55 PM.  The nurse almost wanted me to push faster than the doctor because he was trying to help me not tear but I pushed down and I did tear.   He said it was a 2nd degree tear and I got stitches for a little while after.  He weighed 8 lb 1 oz and was 19.5 inches long, my shortest baby. 

Then we hung out in our room for a while and I had lunch and then we moved to our room.  My mom came to visit and then my dad.  Justin left before 7 to spend some time with the kids and get them to bed at his parent's house.

Anyway, that's how the day went when Wesley was born, and it was a pretty great day.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray! What a quick delivery. I'm so glad everything went so well.

    ReplyDelete